Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TUTORIAL] How to Extract and Read factoryfs.img from a TAR.MD5 Release
rwilco12 Offline
Administrator
Posted: 02-08-2014, 02:52 PM
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2014, 02:53 PM by rwilco12.)
Info 

Thanks Received: 94 in 69 posts

We've all seen those pesky TAR.MD5 packages that we can flash through Odin. How often have you wanted to look inside them and see what is inside before flashing? There are several ways to do it and the most common answer requires Linux and Dsixda's Kitchen utility. This tutorial gives you the ability to do that through Windows and without having to extract the full ROM. These instructions are specific to the Samsung Galaxy S2 (all variants) but can be used on most Samsung Galaxy phones.

Each TAR.MD5 release contains multiple files. Each of these files corresponds to a specific partition on your device. These files are formatted to be mounted by your device but not by a computer. We will be converting them from a .img partition type to an ext4.img type partition so we can mount them and read them through Windows. For this tutorial we will be opening up the factoryfs.img (the system files partition).

Prerequisites
  • A PC running Windows.
  • A stock TAR.MD5 release. Several are available in the Stock ROMs section here.
  • DiskInternals Linux Reader (must be installed on the Windows PC). You can download DiskInternals Linux Reader here.
  • SGS2toEXT4 Utility available here.
    *Be sure to extract the JAR file from the ZIP archive.
  • 7-Zip available here.

Instructions
  1. Right click on the TAR.MD5 and select Open with 7-Zip.
    A message will popup that says, "There is no correct record at the end of archive." Press ok and ignore it.
  2. Extract factoryfs.img to your desktop (or folder of choice).
  3. Run the sgs2toext4.jar utility. A window titled "Drop .img here" will popup.
  4. Take the factoryfs.img icon and drag and drop it into the white space on the "Drop .img here" window. It will now create a new file on your desktop titled factoryfs.ext4.img.
  5. Close the "Drop .img here" window.
  6. Open DiskInternals Linux Reader.
  7. Select "Mount image" from the column on the left.
  8. Make sure the "Raw Disk Images" option is selected and press Next.
  9. Navigate to where you saved factoryfs.ext4.img and select it.
  10. You will now see a new Hard Disk Drive titled "Linux Ext Volume 1".
    You can now select the drive and navigate it the same as you would on your device.
    *You can mount multiple ext4 images at one time so make sure you select the right one.
  11. To extract a file you select/highlight it and then press save at the top. This will extract the file from the ext4 partition and save it to Windows.
Congratulations you have unpacked your first factoryfs.img from a TAR.MD5!
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply

Marnhullman Offline
Posted: 02-16-2014, 06:07 AM

Thanks Received: 0 in 0 posts

Hi

I've followed your instructions and successfully extracted a file. Is there a way to replace the file I have extracted and then reverse the process to create a revised tar file? If it's possible would I have to ensure that the replacement file is exactly the same size as the original in order for the #value to be the same?

Thanks
rwilco12 Offline
Administrator
Posted: 02-16-2014, 07:05 AM

(02-16-2014, 06:07 AM)Marnhullman Wrote: Hi

I've followed your instructions and successfully extracted a file. Is there a way to replace the file I have extracted and then reverse the process to create a revised tar file? If it's possible would I have to ensure that the replacement file is exactly the same size as the original in order for the #value to be the same?

Thanks

As long as the partition you've modified fits in the allocated space on the device you should be good.

I've got some instructions in how to create a TAR here: http://www.rwilco12.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=92

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user says Thank You to rwilco12 for this post
orbit Offline
Posted: 07-18-2014, 11:11 PM
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2014, 06:16 AM by orbit. Edit Reason: Removed some wording.)

Thanks Received: 1 in 1 posts

Hello,

I seem to have a problem extracting the tar.md5 why it does not work like you say I do not know. These are factory stock ROMs.

1. S5300XXLF5_S5300BTULF1_S5300XXLF5_HOME.tar.md5

2. S5300XXLJ4_S5300NZCLJ1_S5300XXLJ4_HOME.tar.md5

Neither of them will extract as you describe above. When I try I get this error in the attachment I have.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

rwilco12 Offline
Administrator
Posted: 07-19-2014, 11:20 AM

orbit Wrote: Hello,

I seem to have a problem extracting the tar.md5 why it does not work like you say I do not know. These are factory stock ROMs.

1. S5300XXLF5_S5300BTULF1_S5300XXLF5_HOME.tar.md5

2. S5300XXLJ4_S5300NZCLJ1_S5300XXLJ4_HOME.tar.md5

Neither of them will extract as you describe above. When I try I get this error in the attachment I have. sorry cannot seem to get your add IMG working.

Hook me up with a link and we'll see what we can figure out. Emotion_smile
orbit Offline
Posted: 07-20-2014, 06:14 AM
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2014, 08:15 PM by orbit. Edit Reason: PS added.. Spelling Corrections.)

Thanks Received: 1 in 1 posts

rwilco12 Wrote: Hook me up with a link and we'll see what we can figure out. Emotion_smile

Hi,

I read on another thread you made on XDA where you was unable to open some of the Samsung STOCK ROM tar.md5 no matter what you did but I did not see that till later after I had made this post.

I have done more searching and searching and on XDA ran across a thread about the same issue and found this tool to extract the STOCK ROM where all else has failed.

TOOL:
=====
ODINATRIX for Windows - 3.16 MB (3,321,856 bytes)

I tried to upload it here but your site said:
===============================
Please correct the following errors before continuing:

The file you attached is too large. The maximum size for that type of file is 1024 kilobytes.

So I hope you do not mind this link and anyone can download this tool from there as I have it uploaded on my post there:
======================================
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...stcount=28

I hope this helps anyone who is having a hard time extracting any of the Samsung STOCK ROMs that are out there and unable to be unzipped by 7z or WinZip etc...

PS: Thanks for the quick reply. Emotion_smile

- orbit
[+] 1 user says Thank You to orbit for this post

rwilco12 Offline
Administrator
Posted: 07-20-2014, 10:43 AM

(07-20-2014, 06:14 AM)orbit Wrote: Hi,

I read on another thread you made on XDA where you was unable to open some of the Samsung STOCK ROM tar.md5 no matter what you did but I did not see that till later after I had made this post.

I have done more searching and searching and on XDA ran across a thread about the same issue and found this tool to extract the STOCK ROM where all else has failed.

TOOL:
=====
ODINATRIX for Windows - 3.16 MB (3,321,856 bytes)

I tried to upload it here but your site said:
===============================
Please correct the following errors before continuing:

The file you attached is too large. The maximum size for that type of file is 1024 kilobytes.

So I hope you do not mind this link and anyone can download this tool from there as I have it uploaded on my post there:
======================================
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...stcount=28

I hope this helps anyone who is having a hard time extracting any of the Samsung STOCK ROMs that are out there and unable to be unzipped but 7z or WinZip etc...

PS: Thanks for the quick reply. Emotion_smile

- orbit
Thank you for sharing! I'm going to be testing it out later today.

I've also fixed the file size limits. Thanks!
johnkill Offline
Posted: 04-24-2015, 10:09 AM

Thanks Received: 0 in 0 posts

sorry for bumping this thread, i just have 1 question sir, how can i extract language from a TAR.MD5 file and after extracting, how can i flash it to the phone via odin? is it possible? thanks in advance!

Contact Us | Rwilco12's Android Repository | Return to Top | | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication